Forum

Awarding points in different levels

Awarding points in different levels  

By: Veselovský on June 7, 2012, 9:03 p.m.

I was inspired by this post in a thread of a level 1 challenge:

For me this is a level 1 and a half…

What if challenges were awarded differently?
All challenges will have, say, 100 points and the points would be shared among users that solved particular challenge.
Example:
If particular challenge solved 1 user, he got 100 points.
If then the same challenge solved another user, he would get 50 points and the previous user points would be changed from 100 to 50. And so on…
If 100 users solved a challenge then every user got 1 point.
There can be a ceiling of points to guarantee that at least 1 point is awarded for a challenge if more than 100 user solved a challenge.

p is number of points that every user got for particular challenge that was solved by "n" users.
p=Ceiling(100/n)

This was without influence of time of course, but the formula can be changed to take time effect into account as it is now. (i.e. the quicker user would get more points than slower, say if only two users solved a challenge the first might get 60, second 40, not exact halves, the difference in points would be depended on the difference of times of providing the solution)

This way the difficulty of challenges will be judged by the users themselves, more users solved a challenge, means the challenge is easier than the challenge that fewer users solved. In accordance with that the points would be awarded.
Challenges can be separated in four different levels as they are now, but this would not affect the points that are awarded for solving them.

What are your opinions?
What advantages of it will be?
What disadvantages of it will be?

One disadvantage would be that your points can also decrease in contrast that now your points are constant unless you solved another challenge, when your points increase.

Advantage would be that the points will be awarded more fairly.
Another advantage would be that user will be motivated to solve challenges that were not solved yet, or were solved by few users so they got more points for them.

Best regards
Viktor

Re: Awarding points in different levels  

By: aurelie on June 8, 2012, 7:24 p.m.

This is an interesting idea. I think we are going to discuss it in team.

At this point, I would like to invite every user to contribute to the discussion by posting his/her opinion, pros and cons and suggestions.

Awarding points in different levels - other general ideas  

By: Theofanidis on June 11, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

Hello everybody,

regarding the way points are awarded

i believe that the levels should be splitted into 5 levels : I,II,III,IV and then X
with starting points : 200-1500-7500-15000-7500
and ending points : 100-1000-5000-10000-5000

i have joined this forum for at least a year and i have the following suggestions :
the points must must decrease according to how many users have solved it, regardless of the time that has pasted from the time when the challenge was published.

many challenges have not been solved yet because the text of the challenge is misleading or the challenge is very difficult or the members have recently found out about it or they tend to solve challenges with more points

so it is injustice to decrease the points according to the time that has pasted from the time it was published

another point is that if a challenge is still not solved for a long time it should be discussed for what reason this has happened and either move it to another level due to its difficulty or disable it or move it to level X.
if the challenge is to be disabled, members could discuss free of ideas / ways of solving it without the danger of being punished. in this way new ideas regarding cryptography could arise.

finally i believe the points are fine for now. if we add level IV as an intermediate level would be more justified.

one last point regarding the challenges. some of them have a very strict kind of accepting the solution that some of us waste many or all the trials due to this fact. explanations regarding the format of the solution should not be banned because there are no hints to solve the challenges. maybe the author could / should reply to such messages in order to help the newcomers.

Best regards,

George

Re: Awarding points in different levels - other general idea  

By: be on June 12, 2012, 12:55 a.m.

some of [the challenges] have a very strict kind of accepting the solution that some of us waste many or all the trials due to this fact. explanations regarding the format of the solution should not be banned because there are no hints to solve the challenges. maybe the author could / should reply to such messages in order to help the newcomers.

We tried in new challenges to accept a broader range of solutions and/or to make it clearer from the very beginning. In any case, open discussions about the format are allowed in the forum and are already practised. I think the authors have been very helpful and showed a very good responsiveness to such questions when they came up in the forum.

Re: Awarding points in different levels - other general idea  

By: petitecath5 on Nov. 9, 2018, 11:41 a.m.

Hello everybody,

regarding the way points are awarded

i believe that the levels should be splitted into 5 levels : I,II,III,IV and then X
with starting points : 200-1500-7500-15000-7500
and ending points : 100-1000-5000-10000-5000

i have joined this forum for at least a year and i have the following suggestions :
the points must must decrease according to how many users have solved it, regardless of the time that has pasted from the time when the challenge was published.

many challenges have not been solved yet because the text of the challenge is misleading or the challenge is very difficult or the members have recently found out about it or they tend to solve challenges with more points

so it is injustice to decrease the points according to the time that has pasted from the time it was published

another point is that if a challenge is still not solved for a long time it should be discussed for what reason this has happened and either move it to another level due to its difficulty or disable it or move it to level X.
if the challenge is to be disabled, members could discuss free of ideas / ways of solving it without the danger of being punished Travaux dépendance seniors. in this way new ideas regarding cryptography could arise.

finally i believe the points are fine for now. if we add level IV as an intermediate level would be more justified.

one last point regarding the challenges. some of them have a very strict kind of accepting the solution that some of us waste many or all the trials due to this fact. explanations regarding the format of the solution should not be banned because there are no hints to solve the challenges. maybe the author could / should reply to such messages in order to help the newcomers.

Best regards,

George

I think that we could meet a more correct and logical challenge than that.

Re: Awarding points in different levels  

By: silva on Nov. 11, 2018, 8:34 p.m.

I think it is worthwhile to reconsider the awarding of the 4 different levels. Surely there are some objective criteria on which the challenges are classified into the four levels. Those criteria are even explained on the MTC3 website. Nevertheless, to solve a challenge, and how difficult that for everybody personally is, depends on a lot of other things. For example your background (are you a student in maths or retired anthropologist), the knowledge of computer languages and programming, and the access to fast internet and powerful computers. For those active members like me, without a helpful background, none computing skills, and internet a little bit faster than a pigeon, level 1 challenges can be really difficult, perhaps it is even more difficult to solve these literally with pen and paper, than when you have access to all those handy skills.

Therefore I think it is fairer to make no distinction between the levels, but to award the person who solves a challenge the fastest with the most points. The second one gets a little bit less point. Not exactly as Viktor suggest (100 point/n), because it is a bit disappointing when you at first got a lot of points and in the end possibly left with only 1 point. That is not an encouraging way to reward.

I would suggest that for all challenges you can get a maximum of 1000 point, that is for the first to solve it. The second one gets 999 point, the third one 998, and so on. With this kind of distribution of points, the more experienced persons will still have a good chance to get a lot of points, but it gives the only pen and paper members also an opportunity to get more point than with the current rewarding. The second advantage is that from the almost 9100 members the really active members are rewarded, not the sleeping ones [HTML_REMOVED] .

Best regards, Sarah

Currently 24 guests and 0 members are online.