Forum

Discussing solved challenges

Discussing solved challenges  

By: Bart13 on July 23, 2012, 10:38 p.m.

It seems to me that very little is discussed on the forum.
The main reason is of course that we're not allowed to give away solutions to the challenges.
So discussion of a challenge is limited to a few hints or the way the solution has to be entered.

Being able to discuss a challlenge, once you've solved it of course, would be very interesting.
It would allow members to share their methods of solving, theoretical background, source codes etc.
If you were able to solve a challenge it's by no means certain that your method was the fastest, shortest or most elegant. But another forum member might have solved it in a 'better' way, and if he wants to share it everybody could learn a lot from that.

If a challenge would not only have a forum topic which is public, but also a private forum topic, then all this would be possible.
Once you've solved the challenge you get access to the privat topic and you can join the discussion there.

I don't know if this is technically possible (without too much effort), but I would be interested in the views of the other forum members.

Re: Discussing solved challenges  

By: Theofanidis on July 24, 2012, 4:23 p.m.

It seems to me that very little is discussed on the forum.
The main reason is of course that we're not allowed to give away solutions to the challenges.
So discussion of a challenge is limited to a few hints or the way the solution has to be entered.

I agree on this topic. One proposal would be that if some challenges regardless of Level, remain unsolved some hints should be released from the authors as topics - in coordination with the mtc3 team - in order to help to the solution.

An approach would be that if some challenges also remain unsolved for a long time, these challenges could be moved to a Level 0, with 50 points to earn, in order to exchange ideas between the members and help others experiment with challenges of the same sequence, i.e. molehunt 1/2/3, kaskade 1/2/3/4/5 and so on

A third approach is to use an "arena" forum. if a member has solved a certain challenge could see the hot topics while others cannot and also ban him or allow him to share ideas regarding this challenge.

By: be on July 24, 2012, 10:54 p.m.

Being able to discuss a challlenge, once you've solved it of course, would be very interesting.
It would allow members to share their methods of solving, theoretical background, source codes etc.

Thanks, this is a very good suggestion. We will evaluate how much effort it takes to build a forum with a private part for each challenge, where only successful solvers have access to.

We'll also look at what could be done with challenges which remained unsolved for a long time.

By: Javex on July 30, 2012, 8:33 p.m.

Hi,

though I really like the idea of such a forum, phpBB is technically not prepared for this and it would require a lot of work to do this.

I will put it on my ToDo list, but don't expect anything too soon, this seems like a huge effort to take.

However, if there is really a big demand for this kind of topics, maybe we can find a simpler solution. So please leave your comments on what you think of this iead.

Regards,
javex

Discussing solved challenges-exchange ideas by using other s  

By: Theofanidis on Aug. 24, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

Hi everybody
Although this site is what everyone would expect for such challenges i have found another site that has some other challenges regarding RSA, hacking, vigenere codes, playfair and so on.
The site is at url : http://www.trythis0ne.com
I address this site because we can see other designs / styles of challnges etc.
This site has the following different procedures as from this one - for some would be more intresting for other just frustrating.
Some differences / similarities are as follows :

1. i.e. challenges are splitted to 10 levels. As far as a member reaches to a certain level some challenges of other levels are revealed. This is frustrating to me because i cannot solve i.e the RSA challenge because i have to solve other challenges first in order to gain more points. On the other hand i "have" to solve challenges that i would most propably neglect and so i will eventually gain more experience - learn more by solving them and exchange more ideas. So this is a "motivation" to solve challenges that are stuck for a long time.
    2.Less hints are given, organised by title for only the challenge that is needed and not for all of the challenges.
    3.Less points are awarded to each challenge according to its level, starting from 10-15 points
    4.I stress all these things in order to show that some discrimination between the resleasing of the challenges as a motivation or method of awarding points etc and to show that some things are "computer feasible" but i think the best way to implement these alternations is the members of the MTC3 team contact some designers of the site http://www.trythis0ne.com to help them - if it is needed on how to implement things that seem "computer infeasible" or even just to exchange ideas.

As far as the suggestion to make a procedure in order to exchange ideas only among those who have solved some challenges (an arena forum suggestion - proposal on previous topics) i believe we can still do this by exchanging PM messages among those who have solved a certain challenge.

P.S.
I would like to stress that this site (MTC3 team) is excellent thats why i am with this for more than a year

Best regards
George

By: Javex on Aug. 27, 2012, 10:05 p.m.

We have a small announcement regarding discussion of challenges. Although we can't provide a private forum for those that solved a challenge, we can provide an idea to solve Level X collaboratively: Discussing Level X challenges. Make sure to check it out (and please read the whole post to avoid misunderstandings).

Regards,
javex

By: itnomad on Feb. 5, 2021, 3:27 p.m.

Hi everyone,

I'm now here for a few weeks and had quite a lot of fun so far.

I'm also really interested in how people solved problems, exploring their methods and discuss about tool chains in use. I just recently solved one challenge in what I find a pretty interesting way and I wonder which path other people took. I'm not really using Cryptool like many other people, but cook up a lot of one-shot-scripts and add everything which was useful to my toolbox.

Lot's of problems need some intuition, and you can only build this by practise, but also into discussing with other people.

So…

Hi,
I will put it on my ToDo list, but don't expect anything too soon, this seems like a huge effort to take.

is there an update to this?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Alex.

By: Theofanidis on Feb. 5, 2021, 5:11 p.m.

Hi everyone,

I'm now here for a few weeks and had quite a lot of fun so far.

I'm also really interested in how people solved problems, exploring their methods and discuss about tool chains in use. I just recently solved one challenge in what I find a pretty interesting way and I wonder which path other people took. I'm not really using Cryptool like many other people, but cook up a lot of one-shot-scripts and add everything which was useful to my toolbox.

Lot's of problems need some intuition, and you can only build this by practise, but also into discussing with other people.

So…

Hi,

is there an update to this?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Alex.

Dear "itnomad" (Alex)
One interim solution - as this task does indeed need a huge effort to take - is to find members that had solved the challenge you are interested in - by searching at the specific Challenges Hall Of Fame - and exchange PMs (Private Messages) to / by them.

Kind Regards
George Theofanidis

By: madness on July 24, 2023, 11:40 p.m.

Hey, George,

Is trythis0ne still active? I can't get past the security code to register, and hacking the server is not allowed. Are those T's and O's or zeroes? Nothing I try is accepted, and I'm tired of scrolling down to find "United States" in the list over and over again.

By: Theofanidis on July 25, 2023, 3:29 a.m.

Dear madness, At the time that my post was uploaded, trythis0ne was active. Unfortunatelly it is no longer active since a lot of time. If you are interested in other cryptography sites, you can visit the www.wechall.net . It has links to 48 active sites and you can achieve another Hall Of Fame of wechall. MysteryTwister is one of these 48 active sites. I hope this helps. Kind Regards, George Theofanidis

Last edited by: Theofanidis on July 28, 2023, 12:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

Currently 20 guests and 0 members are online.