Forum

Challenge "Affine Codes / Modulo Arithmetic with N / Extended Euclid"  

By: admin on Sept. 9, 2011, 11:25 a.m.

Two girls want to communicate in a secret way using the „affine cipher“. Transform the encryption rule into the decryption rule and turn in the plaintext of the example.
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on July 22, 2022, 6:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: Dano on Sept. 9, 2011, 8:57 p.m.

mal ein dickes lob an die autoren,

die eine zusatzdatei die man runterladen konnte wo der erweiterter Euklidischer Algorithmus erklärt wird fand ich besonders toll

nach wochen mit "wiener" "gitter" "Gauss" "LLL" , wo ich mehr mit den konstrukten aus Sigma und der eindeutigen mathematischen beweisführung zu kämpfen hatte (… wo das meißte immer noch bahnhof ist)
ist es doch sehr schön zu sehen, das man die hohe mathematik auch ohne kryptischen-beweise-kram(der es nur noch verkomplizieren) beschreiben kann

also ich fand die pdf besser als wiki :)

das nur am rande

mfg Dano

By: fretty on Sept. 10, 2011, 12:14 a.m.

This is more of a standard decryption than a break/cryptanalysis. It would have been better to not give the key for the encryption (or give one part of the key away).

If you look closely, the reason the affine cipher is not secure is precisely that, the multiplicative inverse mod N is easy to find and working mod 26 there aren't many possibilities.

The more complicated maths you mention are what make things secure or provide attacks on more complicated problems.

By: Dano on Sept. 19, 2011, 7:12 p.m.

ach fretty :-),
ich denke nicht das dies eine wirkliche proplemlösung war die kryptologisch tiefgehend analsiert werden soll

es war einfach ein rätseln, mit einer anleitung/lösungsweg, um auch anfängern die thematik mit RSA und modulo nahe zu bringen

ich fands toll gemacht :)

ich habe es auch ohne rückrechnen gemacht… man erstellt sich ein wörterbuch… oder besser das alphabet einmal, und dann ist es wie cäsar oder eine einfache sustitution… aber darum geht nicht…. wollte nur danke sagen für die gute erklärung

mfg Dano

By: fretty on Sept. 19, 2011, 11:52 p.m.

I agree, it is a good challenge for people that don't know much about maths.

I just thought that this was a site containing cryptanalysis challenges rather than cryptographical challenges.

By: be on Sept. 20, 2011, 8:39 p.m.

I just thought that this was a site containing cryptanalysis challenges rather than cryptographical challenges.

This site is meant for both, beginners and real cryptanalysts. So it contains both kinds of challenges.
Hope you still enjoy them, even if some appear to be too easy for you.
Best regards, BE

By: fretty on Sept. 21, 2011, 10:06 a.m.

Well I enjoy all challenges on the site, I certainly didn't find some of the other level 1 challenges easy but that is how it is.

I was a bit confused over the aim of the challenges but now that I know that it is a site for all crypto challenges I can see how this one fits in.

Currently 30 guests and 0 members are online.