Forum

Challenge "An Invisible Message"  

By: admin on Oct. 17, 2011, 6:26 p.m.

A friend of yours sent you a file that seems to be empty. Was it just a mistake or is there a secret to reveal?
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: Veselovský on Oct. 17, 2011, 8:15 p.m.

I personally think this challenge do not reach the difficulty of challenges of LEVEL 2, its difficulty is comparable with some other challenges in LEVEL 1.

By: Javex on Oct. 17, 2011, 10:43 p.m.

We looked into your request und decided to change the Level to Level I. All points will be adjusted accordingly.

By: DarkFibre on Oct. 18, 2011, 4:35 a.m.

Every time I get a big jump in points…

By: Veselovský on Oct. 18, 2011, 1:45 p.m.

You can see that the time of sending of my previous comment is before of the time you have solved it.
So it has nothing to do with the fact that you have solved it.

In fact, I firstly recommend this challenge for level 2, but then reconsidered that its difficulty fits better in level 1, but there have been some misunderstandings in communication between me and the MTC3 Team and that is why it was firstly published in level 2.

It does not matter too much what level it is in, you get "only" 200 points but same amount of points other users get, when they solve it, so it is fair, I think.

Judging the level of difficulty of challenges is very subjective, someone considers one type of challenges as difficult and someone else as easy.

For example I have not solved the level 1 challenge Zodiac cipher yet, but have solved many challenges in level 2.
So I may think (but I do not) that Zodiac cipher should be in level 2 and probably many people would not agree because they consider it as easy.

By: fretty on Oct. 18, 2011, 2:55 p.m.

It is certainly not easy…the reason most people solved it was because they guessed at an obvious crib and found the solution.

I had trouble for a long time with this one.

By: Veselovský on Oct. 18, 2011, 10:06 p.m.

…to not confuse people, the previous fretty's post does not relate to this challenge, but Zodiac cipher challenge, it was response to my previous post.

By: Dano on Oct. 30, 2011, 11:49 p.m.

eine sehr schöne aufgabe… aber für lvl1 finde ich sie schon zu schwer… also im vergleich mit dem durchschnitt was alle lvl1 betrifft

habe mir wie immer ein programm geschrieben um zu analysieren und um mir meine lösungsansätze visuel darzustellen… ich denke nicht das mit stift und papier die umsetzung gelingt…. wenn dann hat man glück oder ist richtig gut :)

(gut geraten)^^

Hint:
es gibt zeichen die als leerzeichen zu interpretieren sind
there are chars they meaning a space

mfg Dano

By: Veselovský on Oct. 31, 2011, 12:32 a.m.

I have no idea what is your post about (I guess a difficulty issue), except for the English sentence.
I do not think it was necessary to give another hint, the more so that nobody asked for a one.
They would feel better satisfaction if they figure it by themselves.

I am glad that you have solved it and that you are not among the top ten users, which suggests that it is not as hard as someone might think and can encourage others to try it.

Regarding the difficulty I still think it is solvable with pen and paper just like any monoalphabetic substitution. I would compare it with the difficulty of Molehunt challenges in Level 1.
It is possible to solve it with as much using computer as you use it for opening PDF files to read the description of a challenge or to print it. I guess everybody uses computers to read PDF files even for level 1 challenges ;-)

I wanted to say something more, but forgot what… :-D

By: Luy on Oct. 31, 2011, 11:27 p.m.

Nice challenge and interesting plaintext ;)
But I agree with Dano that solving it with pen and paper would be extremely difficult and time consuming.

By: Melting Brains on Dec. 13, 2011, 2:23 p.m.

Great challenge, but I don't think this would be easily solved with pen and paper only…

By: kcshsid on July 27, 2012, 3:49 a.m.

cld someone pls give me a hint? ive been stuck on this for days now. And before you say that this is easy and whatnot, I am NOT an adult, I'm a teenager that's still in school

By: Veselovský on July 27, 2012, 7:22 p.m.

Hello, kcshsid,

I suggest it is better for you to try easier challenges first if you have been stuck on this for a long time and return to this later.
More users solved a particular challenge means the challenge is easier.
Search for challenges that have been solved by many users and try them first. You will learn as you will be solving them and maybe later you will be able to solve also harder ones.

All necessary hints are in PDF and at least one also in this forum.
There is not an additional hint that would help you and that would not disclose too much.
Such a hint would be rather a "walk-through"… and it would spoil the fun for many other users

P.S.: If you think you [size=150]almost solved the challenge[/size] but for some reason you can not get to the final result, then feel free to post me a PM (personal message) with what you have done and I can give another hint, but I am not giving hint on request like "I did not do anything because I do not know how to solve the challenge, give me a hint" ;-)

By: Veselovský on Oct. 1, 2013, 8:38 p.m.

I have just noticed that the text file "mtc3-veselovsky-08-inv.txt" that is available as additional file for this challenge is not as it was originally submitted. I guess it may be because of the last update to the site and the server interprets it differently as it should be interpreted and as it was originally interpreted.

Please use this zip file [attachment=0]inv.zip[/attachment] which contain the original txt file when solving this challenge.

I also want to ask members of the mtc3 team to replace the "mtc3-veselovsky-08-inv.txt" with this zip file.

By: Javex on Oct. 8, 2013, 12:18 a.m.

Hello,

I just replaced the old .txt file with your new .zip file, so it is now available as an official file with the challenge. Viktor, thanks for your help.

Currently 22 guests and 0 members are online.