Forum

Re: Challenge  

By: fretty on Oct. 2, 2011, 11:54 p.m.

Some of these questions are meant to be easy…some more difficult. You have to get a mix.

By: Lotus on Oct. 3, 2011, 9:49 a.m.

Hello Veselovský,

The answer is too easy, so is it really asking this?

Yes

@fretty.:You are right. Maybe the questions should be changed like this.

Q1 - You have 3 rotors, how many different ways are there to place them in the machine? (Without considering the starting and the ring positions)

Q2 - You have 5 rotors, how many different ways are there to place three of them in the machine? (Without considering the starting and the ring positions)

Q3 -How many different ways are there to choose a reflector and the 3 rotors and put them into the machine? (Enigma-1, Without considering the starting and the ring positions)

In my oppinion the other questions are unambiguous. When reading the description the difference between choosing/placing, start position, and ring settings should be clear.

Greetings

By: Veselovský on Oct. 3, 2011, 3:09 p.m.

Thank you Lotus.
What a pleasure it is to solve this challenge, when you know exactly, what questions are really asking. :-)))

I was still counting also starting positions of rotors in questions 1,2,3, which should not be considered.

Precise answer needs firstly a precise question, especially in combinatorics, when changing one word for another may completely change an answer to it.

By: Greko on Sept. 2, 2012, 4:47 p.m.

This is a bit confusing for me. I believe my answers are correct but probably there is a mistake somewhere as my answer is not accepted. Can I send my solution to somebody that has already solved this one? At least to help find out where am I making the mistake. I believe it is useless to just trying to guess by myself.

Thank you
Greko

By: Greko on Sept. 4, 2012, 11:35 a.m.

I have finally solved this one. I have to admit that it was a difficult one. The most tricky part was question 3. Be careful it is not so obvious what it really asks for.

Best regards
Greko

By: Samacian on July 17, 2013, 1:34 a.m.

I am struggling with this one and I think it is due to misinterpretation of the questions. Is there anyone I can PM to check my working?

By: be on July 17, 2013, 2:13 a.m.

I am struggling with this one and I think it is due to misinterpretation of the questions. Is there anyone I can PM to check my working?

Yes, you can send me a PM. Have you read the previous forum posts concerning this challenge? Please send me your solutions and your considerations behind as comprehensive as necessary. Then I can better help you. Thanks

By: phase2 on Aug. 15, 2013, 10:44 p.m.

Ich habe auch Probleme bei dieser Challenge. Meine Antwort wird auch nicht angenommen. Bei irgendeiner der Fragen muss ich einen Fehler haben, aber ich kann ihn nicht finden…

By: be on Aug. 15, 2013, 10:50 p.m.

Ich habe auch Probleme bei dieser Challenge. Meine Antwort wird auch nicht angenommen. Bei irgendeiner der Fragen muss ich einen Fehler haben, aber ich kann ihn nicht finden…

Bitte senden Sie mir Ihre Lösungsversuche (samt einer kurzen Erläuterung zu den Teillösungen) in einer PM oder einer Email. Dann schaue ich mir das gerne an. MfG be

By: phase2 on Aug. 15, 2013, 11:26 p.m.

Bitte senden Sie mir Ihre Lösungsversuche (samt einer kurzen Erläuterung zu den Teillösungen) in einer PM oder einer Email. Dann schaue ich mir das gerne an. MfG be

Hat sich erledigt, konnte die Challenge mittlerweile lösen.
Die größten Probleme hatte ich wie einige andere auch mit Frage Nummer 3.
Es zählt nicht nur die Auswahl der Walzen und der Umlenkwalze, sondern auch Ihre unterschiedlichen Einbaumöglichkeit ohne die Startpositionen oder Ringstellungen in betracht zu ziehen.

By: Integral on Dec. 19, 2013, 3:25 p.m.

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I started resolving some challenges just a few days ago …

I'm struggling with this one, I am almost sure of my replies, but do not know why they are refused

Can anyone help me by checking by PM my 2 replies ? (so far)

Many thanks in advance,
Best regards

Challenge Enigma Combinatorics  

By: Theofanidis on Dec. 19, 2013, 4:26 p.m.

Dear Integral

Send me a Private Message (PM) and i will check your answers

Best Regards
George Theofanidis

By: Integral on Dec. 19, 2013, 4:55 p.m.

Dear Theofanidis,

Thank you for your prompt reply,
I just sent a PM to you, but it appears in my "Outbox", not in the "Sent Messages"… I hope I didn't miss anything…

By: ExAstris on June 8, 2018, 6:44 p.m.

I had some trouble with Q3 because of the wording.

It seems to me that it could have been phrased similarly to Q2.

Q3: How many possible ways are there of positioning five rotors and a reflector in the available three rotor slots and the reflector slot of the ENIGMA-I?

Is this clearer ?

By: be on June 11, 2018, 10:18 a.m.

It seems to me that Q3 could have been phrased similarly to Q2.

Yes, this is fine and clearer.

Currently 20 guests and one member are online.