Forum

Challenge "Grille Cipher"  

By: admin on Oct. 14, 2011, 6:04 p.m.

You need to reconstruct some fields of the grille to decrypt the message written on an old note.
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: Veselovský on Oct. 15, 2011, 12:03 a.m.

Great challenge :-)
First one that, besides pen and paper, I was forced to use also scissors. :-D

By: TBREAKER on Oct. 15, 2011, 1:52 p.m.

I used a inkjet transparency [HTML_REMOVED]

Great challenge, far away from this maths stuff [HTML_REMOVED]

By: fretty on Oct. 15, 2011, 4:11 p.m.

Or is it… :p

The fact that the grille is able to fill in the whole square with letters means it does not possess certain symmetries. Using group theory we may find exactly how many grilles do this, upto rotation (we must have that no two white squares in the grille lie in the same orbit under the action of the rotational symmetries of the square on the 64 squares of the grille).

In fact this was how I solved the challenge immediately… 64 squares on the grille means we fill in 16 squares of the 8x8 grid every time we do a rotation. This means there are 4 white squares in the 3x3 missing bit of the grille. There is literally only one configuration of 4 white squares out of the 9 missing ones that doesnt contradict the group theory above. It took 10 seconds using the already given info to find this.

A quick bit of logic solves this, no printout necessary.

By: DarkFibre on Oct. 18, 2011, 8:55 p.m.

Harder versions of this and the Dbl Col Trans problem would make great level 2 challenges (and beyond)

By: effort2break on Jan. 7, 2012, 8:34 p.m.

This was like cryptography practicals. Cut and Paste session.
Bring your scale and scissors. [HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]

By: casanovari on April 17, 2012, 1:35 a.m.

Hi the challenge is cool. I found out the answer, but no matter how I write it, this was regarded wrong. Maybe someone has a tip how to write this right?

By: aurelie on April 23, 2012, 10:51 p.m.

You need to type in the text in capital letters without spaces, fullstops, apostrophes or other special characters.

If you found out that the solution is "Hello, this is an example text and the weather'll be great on Sunday!", you'd need to type in:

HELLOTHISISANEXAMPLETEXTANDTHEWEATHERLLBEGREATONSUNDAY

I hope this helps you (and everyone else who has the same problem) with the challenge!

By: lordkevin on Jan. 2, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

Thanks for the nice post and happy new year…

By: funkyjunky on June 22, 2014, 4:50 p.m.

Hi the challenge is cool. I found out the answer, but no matter how I write it, this was regarded wrong. Maybe someone has a tip how to write this right?

By: aurelie on June 29, 2014, 7:21 p.m.

Hello funkyjunky,

I replied to casanovari's post above:

You need to type in the text in capital letters without spaces, fullstops, apostrophes or other special characters.

If you found out that the solution is "Hello, this is an example text and the weather'll be great on Sunday!", you'd need to type in:

I checked the solutions that you tried to enter and the content looks correct but please use the form that I described in the quoted answer.

Best regards!

P.S.: We have a special forum for each challenge where we collect questions, answers and comments. Please make sure to post your questions in the corresponding forum - and sometime you'll find out that others have had the same problem (& have already solved it).

Challenge Grille Cipher  

By: Theofanidis on June 30, 2014, 7:46 a.m.

Dear funkyjunky

Please read the email Re: ChallengePostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 22:51, send by aurelie, the author of this challenge :

"You need to type in the text in capital letters without spaces, fullstops, apostrophes or other special characters.

I hope this helps you (and everyone else who has the same problem) with the challenge!"

Best regards
George Theofanidis

P.S. If you need more assistance, please send me a P.M. (private message) . . .

By: f1remind on Sept. 1, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

Did anyone else have a "Y" where an "E" should have been?

By: Anita on Dec. 1, 2016, 12:04 a.m.

Ich wollte nur kurz sagen, dass ich dieses Rätsel echt toll fand [HTML_REMOVED] Hat total Spass gemacht und der Lösungssatz passt ja wie die Faust aufs Auge [HTML_REMOVED]

I would like to say that this challenge was so exciting and brilliant. Had a lot of fun on this one. And the solution is a perfect match [HTML_REMOVED]

Anita

By: plexor on Feb. 22, 2017, 5:09 p.m.

This challenge was great! I extended the problem a little more and i wrote a program to detect the missing part more quickly :)

Currently 15 guests and 0 members are online.