Forum

Challenge "Letter from the Alleged Countess Julie von Ortenburg"  

By: admin on May 7, 2010, 2:27 p.m.

In 1806, the young countess Julie finds a dress with an old enciphered letter in a pouch. It reveals a secret of one of Julie's ancestors. Can you break the cipher?The codeword for this challenge is the last word of the letter (all uppercase).
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge "Letter from the alleged countess ..."  

By: Kitsune on Feb. 8, 2011, 10:33 a.m.

Forgive me for asking such a inane Question, but Is the point of this challenge to discover the Cipher method used?

Re: Challenge "Letter from the alleged countess ..."  

By: tosch on Feb. 9, 2011, 9:17 a.m.

Hi,

the goal of the challenge is to find the cleartext.

The cipher itself is a monoalphabetic substitution using the the 26 characters of the alphabet. Some of the words are spelled incorrectly and have digrams representing the german umlauts.

Try yourself and have fun!
ToSch

Re: Challenge "Letter from the Alleged Countess ..."  

By: effort2break on Jan. 1, 2012, 9:53 p.m.

Hello,

Hi,
The cipher itself is a monoalphabetic substitution using the the 26 characters of the alphabet. Some of the words are spelled incorrectly and have digrams representing the german umlauts.
ToSch

I can not speak German could you tell me what this German Umlauts mean [HTML_REMOVED] and what do you mean by "Some of the words are spelled incorrectly" [HTML_REMOVED]

Re: Challenge "Letter from the Alleged Countess ..."  

By: tosch on Jan. 2, 2012, 10:20 p.m.

Hi,

the german umlauts äöü and ß are normally written as ae, oe, ue and ss (or sz) in case these characters are not "available" (english keyboard) or not used - like in the cipher text here.
E.g. the german word for solution is Lösung and would be written as Loesung in the cipher.

The second hint is, that some words have typos, meaning that Loesung might be Loesxng in the text.

Good luck!
Tobias

Re: Challenge  

By: kiekuk on March 1, 2015, 1:42 p.m.

Hello,

i found a solution, but which is not one hundred percent correct.

What can I do?

Best regards
kiekuk

By: ExAstris on May 29, 2018, 8:44 p.m.

Hi all,

I am pretty sure I have the correct solution, but none of my trials were accepted. I entered the last word of the letter in upper case.

However, there are so many misspellings and misplaced spaces, that I came up with 4 different ways to enter the answer (all rejected).

Unless I am mistaken, I know what the last word means, and therefore can spell it, with or without diacritics (umlauts, double s…). I even tried the last two words concatenated, because of maverick spaces; to no avail.

A nudge would be welcome!

Thanks

By: AnLeRo on May 29, 2018, 9 p.m.

Hi ExAstris,
I looked at your solutions and I am sorry, but they are not rejected because of spelling mistakes. The word we are looking for is another one.
I hope this helps.
Best regards, Anna

By: ExAstris on May 30, 2018, 4:09 a.m.

Hi Anna,

thank you so much for your feedback, it did help!
I was using the wrong word, silly me!

Best regards,

Eric

Currently 20 guests and 0 members are online.