Forum

Challenge "Monoalphabetic substitution with camouflage — Part 4"  

By: admin on Dec. 21, 2011, 1:58 p.m.

Alice and Bob use the cipher as it had been described in part 3 of this challenge. Due to an error one message has been encrypted and sent twice. Does this help you to find out the shared key and enables you to decrypt a third message easily?
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: Bart13 on Dec. 22, 2011, 12:45 a.m.

Challenge can not be downloaded !

edit: … and now it can …!?

By: Witten on Dec. 22, 2011, 11:33 a.m.

Damn you :D I had to try a couple of times!!!

By: Veselovský on Dec. 22, 2011, 12:25 p.m.

Those who used a computer to solve this challenge were cheating and will be added to "Hall of shame"!

By: Bart13 on Dec. 22, 2011, 1:21 p.m.

Viktor, that was very nasty !
And this is a level I challenge…..:-)

By: randall77 on Oct. 9, 2012, 6:26 a.m.

I'm having trouble getting my answer accepted. I've decrypted the first two messages and have what I think is the correct third one, but it isn't being accepted. There is a bit of ambiguity in the final plaintext, but I tried all possibilities and none were accepted. Am I missing something here? All-caps, space-separated?

By: Veselovský on Oct. 9, 2012, 8:05 a.m.

All-caps, space-separated?

Yes and yes.

There is a bit of ambiguity in the final plaintext

No, there is no ambiguity of the third plaintext. There is only one possibility for it. But the plaintext was chosen deliberately in such a way, that it may confuse you. Check your decryption key and make sure it is indeed the correct one. Without the precise key you may incline to think that you found the right answer although it might not be true.

P.S.: In case there is a problem with the site you can send me your solution in PM and I will check it.

By: silva on June 6, 2020, 1:07 p.m.

Finally solved it!!! It took me a very very long time to figure this challenge out. But I did it all with pen&paper and Word&Excel. So it is indeed possible to solve it without any computer programming.

Although this is a difficult challenge with a lot of unforeseen twists, I recommend to those who really want to test their skills to try this with Pen & Paper as Viktor recommends. Because even if programming skills are useful and necessary to become a cryptographer, more skills are required to become a good cryptographer, such as thinking out of the box, learning from mistakes and persistence. You need to cope with frustration and have the courage to continue. With this challenge you can test a lot of your capabilities. Don´t give up.

@ Viktor: a very clever challenge, indeed nasty, but a good job [HTML_REMOVED]

Silva

By: Veselovský on June 9, 2020, 11 p.m.

Finally solved it!!! It took me a very very long time to figure this challenge out. But I did it all with pen&paper and Word&Excel. So it is indeed possible to solve it without any computer programming.

Although this is a difficult challenge with a lot of unforeseen twists, I recommend to those who really want to test their skills to try this with Pen & Paper

I am happy that you are a proof that it can be solved with only "pen & paper".

@ Viktor: a very clever challenge, indeed nasty, but a good job [HTML_REMOVED]

Silva

…and it is always nice to see that someone liked your challenge.

Currently 19 guests and 0 members are online.