Forum

Challenge "Multilingual Monoalphabetic Substitution"  

By: Javex on Jan. 30, 2013, 2:30 p.m.

The plaintext consists of English, French, German and Italian words. Can you identify the four sentences after you have solved the monoalphabetic substitution?
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge "Multilingual Monoalphabetic Substitution"  

By: jomandi on Feb. 15, 2013, 3:35 p.m.

since it is a level 1 challenge, it should not be so difficult to find the solution.
unfortunately i am stuck and not able to find it.

is it possible, to get a little hint (the hint in the challenge is not really helpful for me)?

thanks,
jomandi

By: Bart13 on Feb. 15, 2013, 6:51 p.m.

I agree.
Most level 2 challenges are easier…

Challenge "Multilingual Monoalphabetic Substitution"  

By: Theofanidis on Feb. 15, 2013, 10:02 p.m.

Dear members.
A member of the MTC3 team informed me that hints are needed to solve this challenge – on the other hand it is unfair since 9 members already solved it.
So i will reveal only this information:

1. The most frequent letter among the ciphertext is related to the most frequent letter in plaintexts – which is common to any of the four languages involved – which is actually "e".
  2. If the title of the challenge was "CAESAR CIPHER CHALLENGE" then the encryption key - DURING THE ENCRYPTION PROCESS - could be
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    caesr——————————–
    or
    cipher——————————–
    or
    chaleng——————————
    I remind that repeating letters are omitted so if the word was MISSISSIPPI then the word should be
    misp———————————-

I believe this information is enough.

P.S. Many level 1 and 2 challenges are still unsolved by me and by many other members because authors think that the hints given are enough but they still remain unsolved for many time. I believe each author should balance if more hints are needed in order to encourage other members to solve it and on the same way to keep the level of the challenge as it is . . .
This comment was written because someone thought that this challenge should be level 2 despite he is among the top 10 in the HOL . . .

Best regards
George Theofanidis

By: jomandi on Feb. 16, 2013, 1:22 a.m.

i was on the right way before and had the right "meaningful word".

my problem was, that it was too short to find the solution.

with the help of hint 2 i was able to "enlarge the beginning of the substitution key", which led to the solution.

thanks for the help.

best regards,
jomandi

Currently 27 guests and 0 members are online.