Forum

Challenge "Number Sequence — Part 5"  

By: admin on April 18, 2012, 7:30 p.m.

How are the numbers linked? Can you find the three missing numbers?
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: Bart13 on April 19, 2012, 7:14 p.m.

Could the author check the challenge?
It seems to me that either the challenge is too difficult for Level I or there is a typo in the challenge or solution.

By: Veselovský on April 19, 2012, 7:33 p.m.

I have found a sequence which differs just by one digit in one term from the sequence in the challenge.
So I was considering whether there is a typo like the previous user mentioned.
It does not have to be the case here, but only three terms given and no two consecutive terms given seems to be too little to determine the sequence.

Same apply for part 4. There is too few consecutive terms given. Just for comparison, if in challenge "A really long number sequence" were given only few consecutive terms, or only every second, the challenge would be unsolvable.

Maybe it is not the case here, I am just thinking that this may be the cause why nobody has solved it yet.

By: aurelie on April 20, 2012, 1:59 a.m.

It would be great if you could send the solution you found to [HTML_REMOVED]mtc3@cryptool.org[HTML_REMOVED] so we can check whether there is a typo - Thank you!

@Bart13: I have to admit that this sequence is a little bit more tricky than the others but we decided to rate it as "Level 1" because you don't need a computer to solve it.

By: jomandi on April 21, 2012, 2:43 p.m.

until now i have tried 7 solutions of the challenge, which fulfill the expected conditions.

for this type of challenges there exist always infinitely many sequences which have the given values on the given positions. it is a "looking for a needle in a haystack" to find out, what the creator of the sequence was thinking, and to guess (and this is nothing else), which sequence he was meaning.

the same problem occurs for the challenge "Number Sequence - Part 4".

i think it would be a very good idea to review these two challenges.

best regards,
jomandi

By: be on April 21, 2012, 10:49 p.m.

… to review these two challenges.

We'll do so.

By: aurelie on April 24, 2012, 3:22 a.m.

There are serious mistakes in this sequence. Here is the correct sequence:

223 - ? - 221311 - ? - 2221132112 - ?
(The PDF is already updated.)

Please note that the correct solution can't be recognized by the system yet. So, for the moment you can already think of the solution and I'll post a short notification as soon as it is corrected.
Of course, your trials are reset.

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your patience!

Last edited by: aurelie on Nov. 5, 2013, 9:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: Veselovský on April 24, 2012, 3:18 p.m.

223 - ? - 221311 - ? - 2221132112 - ?

This is the sequence I was thinking of from the very beginning.
So I was right there was a typo or error in the sequence. (it differs just in one digit)

How is it that the error could pass through so many people?
I do not know how about others, but I always feel it very annoying when this happens.
People are spending their time in belief that the sequence is correct and that it is them who are not clever enough to find the solution, so they try harder and spend more time on it.

I spent on it several hours couples of days. I even let myself to have a dream about the sequence before going to bed, hoping that the dream reveals the correct solution :-D ;-)

By: aurelie on April 24, 2012, 8:25 p.m.

How is it that the error could pass through so many people?
I do not know how about others, but I always feel it very annoying when this happens.
[…]
I even let myself to have a dream about the sequence before going to bed, hoping that the dream reveals the correct solution :-D ;-)

I'm sorry about that. I'm afraid I miscalculated while checking the sequences and the author did not notice the mistakes, either. I can't do anything about it by hindsight but promising to check everything more carefully in the future.

By: aurelie on May 1, 2012, 4:02 p.m.

We updated the PDF files. The correct sequence can now be found in the slides.

By: Aliazer on May 11, 2012, 10:37 a.m.

You forgot to change the time of publication to the time when the corrected challenge was published. Some of us should have got 200 points.

By: bgr on May 6, 2013, 8:57 p.m.

I am sure I got the right sequence, but it's not accepted. Can somebody please check whether the format I used is the right one?
I wrote 1234,12345678,1234 without blanks between, right?
Thanks in advance!
Bernhard

Challenge "Number Sequence - Part 5"  

By: Theofanidis on May 7, 2013, 8:49 a.m.

Dear Bernhard

the format is indeed the one that you describe.

I have posted a PM (Personal Message) to you with some examples

Send me a PM to check your solution

Best regards
George Theofanidis

By: bgr on May 7, 2013, 10:36 a.m.

Hello George,
thanks, everything is now fine.
My algorithm was wrong (but I got the same numbers!) and too complicated. The final solution was much easier than mine. Now it works!
Thanks for the fast feedback!
Bernhard

By: kiekuk on Feb. 23, 2015, 5:56 p.m.

Hallo zusammen,

ich habe mir eine Lösung überlegt, die auch die bekannten Folgen liefert, aber es wird mir gesagt, dass die Lösung falsch ist.

Was kann man da machen?

Viele Grüße
kiekuk

Currently 32 guests and 0 members are online.