Forum

Re: Challenge  

By: haegarq on Aug. 1, 2014, 6:31 p.m.

Tach auch,

gibt es noch eine andere Möglichkeit an das "Snow"-Programm zu kommen? Ich habe zwar für diesen Zweck Ubuntu (14.04 LTS) installiert, komme aber dann mit dem Rest nicht weiter …

Vielen Dank und ein schönes Wochenende.

gruß
haegarq

PS: Das Passwort hätte ich schon … glaube ich zumindest.

By: silva on July 29, 2018, 5:58 p.m.

Don´t know what I am doing wrong. I have a readable password, including low and upper cases. Downloaded the windows 32-bit version of Snow, because the Java applet doesn´t work on my laptop. I followed carefully the commands used in Snow, including all the “" before and after password and text. But nothing happens.

I have Windows 10, 64-bit system. Could that be the problem?
Silva

By: be on July 31, 2018, 11:24 a.m.

I have Windows 10, 64-bit system. Could that be the problem?

It should work on Win10, too. Could you send me an email with more details. What version of Java do you use? What is the input you used? Best regards, BE

By: silva on Aug. 19, 2018, 1:21 p.m.

Finally, I have solved this challenge, but not without a lot of help!

So, for those who, just like me, think that snow stands synonym with fun in wintertime, and a computer works only with a mouse, here some hints (I used Windows 10):

You need to download and unzip a program named Snow on the Darkside webpage (http://www.darkside.com.au/snow/snwdos32.zip). Not the darkside snowboards, that is for the winter fun. It is possible to open this program with a (double) mouse click in the Explorer and it is also possible to copy the, in the meantime found, sentence with the password, as described above. But that doesn’t work! Whatever you try, and I tried a hell of a lot combinations, it`s a No GO.

Instead, first of all make sure that the Snow program and the Snow text (also downloaded and unzipped) with the empty lines at the end are put in the same folder on your computer.

Secondly, you should go to the Command Prompt, forget the name. Click on Windows Symbol and R simultaneously and in the pop up window you type: CMD. Then Enter. Now you are in some black window with a blinking cursor. Somehow you need to go to the directory where the snow program and text are placed. On Internet you will find all kind of information like: Basic commands for dummies, or The 10 most easy commands which even you mother knows, or Becoming a Geek in 5 minutes. When you are in the right directory, you should not open (execute) the snow program without the adequate parameters because then the same happens as double click with the mouse in the Explorer and that doesn`t work. Instead, the sentence with the password should be written directly in this command prompt (the parameters look like this: snow -C -p "Welcome …" snow.txt), followed by Enter, where snow.txt means the additional file copied from MTC3 into the directory with snow.exe.

In my attempts I didn´t know where the clear text would appear. But this text shows right under the command line in the same command prompt. Not in another directory or whatever. So, if the hidden text does not appear in the black window, something is wrong [HTML_REMOVED]

Good luck ! Silva

By: yult on July 8, 2019, 8:17 p.m.

I got gibberish and error message "residual of 5 bits not uncompressed" when I tried to decrypt the message. I have tried using window 32-bit dos, java applet and ubuntu version but all of them give same result. I used the cmd: snow -C -p "[HTML_REMOVED]" snow.txt
where passcode is a 47 characters(including space) string that starts with * and ends with *. Should I just skip this task?

Note by admin: removed parts that partially reveal the solution.

By: sexton on July 14, 2019, 7:16 a.m.

I got gibberish and error message "residual of 5 bits not uncompressed" when I tried to decrypt the message. I have tried using window 32-bit dos, java applet and ubuntu version but all of them give same result. I used the cmd: snow -C -p "[HTML_REMOVED]" snow.txt
where passcode is a 47 characters(including space) string that starts with * and ends with *. Should I just skip this task?

Same result with Linux "stegsnow" and Windows.

By: ancat on July 14, 2019, 1:28 p.m.

Same result with Linux "stegsnow" and Windows.

Did you try "snow.txt" instead of snow.txt?

By: ludimus on July 21, 2019, 2:15 p.m.

works for me with building from sources (make) in ubuntu.

Post 11 in this thread got me there

By: RandyWaterhouse on July 30, 2019, 7:24 a.m.

I used the Win 32-bit executable in Ubuntu with WINE and it worked fine, too. Saved me the building from sources.

By: be on July 30, 2019, 7:15 p.m.

I used the Win 32-bit executable in Ubuntu with WINE and it worked fine, too. Saved me the building from sources.

Thanks a lot for these hints. This is helpful for other users.

snow white  

By: Xx on Dec. 23, 2019, 9:12 p.m.

I have question about Snow White problem. I did the following command using snow applet: snow -C -p "…." snow.txt but I got only unreadible output. I'm opened to any suggestions.

Re: snow white  

By: Xx on Dec. 23, 2019, 9:16 p.m.

I also have this warning: residual of 5 bits not uncompressed and the output looks like that: r,svt….Yk eor

Re: snow white  

By: tryone144 on Jan. 5, 2020, 12:22 a.m.

I have question about Snow White problem. I did the following command using snow applet: snow -C -p "…." snow.txt but I got only unreadible output. I'm opened to any suggestions.

Moved to the official challenge topic.

This looks like your password isn't quite right yet. The following post in this topic might shed some light on what might be wrong:

2) If you found the solution of the Caesar-encrypted password, use all the words and make sure to observe the upper-/lower-case letters.

It may help to think about a way to respect the upper-/lower-case already in the Caesar-encryption…
Solving this challenge first might also provide you with an idea on how solve this problem.

I hope this will help you and future solvers.

By: madness on March 30, 2020, 3:12 a.m.

Lies! All lies!

Using the absolutely correctly decrypted passphrase
with the absolutely correct use of upper- and lower-case
letters in the command
snow -C -p " … " snow.txt
results in gibberish.

By: Veselovský on March 30, 2020, 12:07 p.m.

Lies! All lies!

Using the absolutely correctly decrypted passphrase
with the absolutely correct use of upper- and lower-case
letters in the command
snow -C -p "…" snow.txt
results in gibberish.

All works correctly for me. The program works correctly you just used wrong key-phrase.

You may need to reconsider whether you fully understand what is the difference between Caesar cipher and Simple substitution cipher.
Caesar cipher is a special case of Simple substitution cipher but on the other hand not every Simple substitution cipher is also a Caesar cipher. Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_cipher.

In this challenge we work with Caesar cipher so please make sure that your decrypted key-phrase fulfills the conditions of this cipher. Also make sure that you use extended alphabet "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" as may be evident from characters used in ciphertext.

PS to administrators:
I think it would be a good idea to delete the portion of posts made by user "madness" and earlier by user "yult" and "Xx" that reveals the first and last word of the key-phrase, otherwise there is not much work to do for the new solvers.
…and also the quotes of these posts made by users "sexton", "ancat" and "tryone144"

Currently 20 guests and 0 members are online.