Forum

Challenge "Snow White and the seven dwarfs"  

By: Javex on April 20, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

The seven dwarfs are missing. Snow White however finds a file, which contains useful information steganographically hidden. Help her to find the dwarfs.
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge "Snow White and the seven dwarfs"  

By: DarkFibre on April 20, 2013, 3:38 p.m.

Does the windows version of Snow also decrypt this? I can't install Java because apparently Sun is hosting corrupted files.

By: bgr on April 20, 2013, 6:03 p.m.

Does the windows version of Snow also decrypt this? I can't install Java because apparently Sun is hosting corrupted files.

I am not sure, as I got the warning "residual of 3 bits not uncompressed", when I started to decrypt.
Bernhard

By: DarkFibre on April 20, 2013, 6:49 p.m.

That's what I've been getting, and apparently Sun is more incompetent than ever and can't even run a simple file server any more.

By: jomandi on April 20, 2013, 7:42 p.m.

Yes it does.

the file, where the text is encrypted, is:
snow.txt[/list:u] if the password string is the following: this is the password phrase[/list:u]

then you will get the right solution with the "DOS/Windows executable" from the site given in the challenge (i used the "32-bit executable"):

snow -C -p "this is the password phrase" "snow.txt"i hope this helps.

best regards, jomandi

By: bgr on April 20, 2013, 9:25 p.m.

"snow.txt"
This helped!!!! Forgot the "".
Thanks!

By: DarkFibre on April 21, 2013, 6:48 a.m.

I still get gibberish. Maybe it doesn't work on 64-bit windows?

Edit: Compiled the code on an Ubuntu VM, still no go…

By: staafl on April 22, 2013, 3:22 p.m.

I have uncovered the code phrase but find myself to decrypt the whitespace using any variation (as it is, uppercase, lowercase, spaces removed, etc). What am I missing?

Edit: Using a 64 bit machine.

By: DarkFibre on April 22, 2013, 5:52 p.m.

I just tried the Java applet on another 64-bit machine that already had Java installed, still gibberish.

By: mc_iq on April 23, 2013, 3:01 p.m.

When you get gibberish, then I would say the code phase is wrong!
I tried it with 16-bit and 32-bit executable and also with the java applet of SNOW. It works.

By: aurelie on April 24, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

Hello everyone,

here are three things regarding this challenge:
1) I tried the Java applet with Windows and Ubuntu and it works for me.

2) If you found the solution of the Caesar-encrypted password, use all the words and make sure to observe the upper-/lower-case letters.

3) I used CrypTool online (http://www.cryptool-online.org/index.php?option=com_cto&view=tool&Itemid=96&lang=en) to decrypt the password. The use of upper- and lower-case letters is not random and makes sense if you found the correct key.

I hope this helps you to solve the challenge :)

Re: Challenge  

By: Sequence1 on Jan. 23, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

Ich habe jetzt schon recht oft versucht das SNOW applet zu starten. Das Passwort habe ich in einen verständichen Text umgewandelt. Aber JAVA meint dieses applet durch meine Sicherheitseinstellungen-von wo auch immer-nicht öffnen zu dürfen. Wie kann ich Java-itern meine Einstellungen ändern.

Vielen Dank im Voraus

By: aurelie on Jan. 31, 2014, 10:26 p.m.

Hallo,

Ich habe jetzt schon recht oft versucht das SNOW applet zu starten. Das Passwort habe ich in einen verständichen Text umgewandelt. Aber JAVA meint dieses applet durch meine Sicherheitseinstellungen-von wo auch immer-nicht öffnen zu dürfen. Wie kann ich Java-itern meine Einstellungen ändern.

hast du die aktuelle Java-Version installiert? Dann sollte es im Windowsmenü den Ordner "Java" geben. Mit "Configure Java" kann man mit dieser Anleitung http://www.java.com/de/download/faq/exception_sitelist.xml Sicherheitsausnahmen hinzufügen.

Ich hoffe, das behebt dein Problem!

By: XxWappenxX on June 24, 2014, 6:22 p.m.

Ich kann auf der Seite http://www.darkside.com.au/snow/ nicht zu greifen. Es kommt immer Fehler: Netzwerk-Zeitüberschreitung
Kann ich das Programm Snow woanders runterladen?
oder gibt es eine alternativ Programme?

By: aurelie on June 29, 2014, 7:34 p.m.

Hallo,
Danke für den Hinweis! Ich habe nach einer Alternative gesucht und folgendes gefunden: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man1/snow.1.html

Bitte lass mich wissen, ob es das Problem behebt, dann passe ich das PDF entsprechend an!

Hello,
it seems like the given link doesn't work anymore. I found the following alternative and hope that it is a useful tool for you to solve the challenge: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man1/snow.1.html
Please let me know if you were successful such that others can use it, too, and I can update the PDFs

Thank you :)

Currently 18 guests and 0 members are online.