Forum

Challenge "Homophonic Encryption — Part 1"  

By: admin on May 4, 2019, 3:22 p.m.

Homophonic encryption is a modified version of the monoalphabetic substitution: One plaintext symbol can be substituted by more than one ciphertext symbol. In part 1 of this series every plaintext symbol has the same number of possible substitutions. This is a ciphertext-only challenge. Try to crack the ciphertext and extract a specific word from the plaintext.
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on July 22, 2022, 6:17 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: snk on Aug. 21, 2019, 7:15 p.m.

Hello,

could someone please check the release time of this challenge.

According to the forum, the challenge was
" Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 15:22 "

But on the Main page it says:
" Published on: 2019-05-04 21:22 "

My answer was accepted as correct at 2019-05-04 20:15:46
but because it was earlier than the server time, it wasn't awarded any points.

Thank you.

By: tryone144 on Sept. 4, 2019, 12:20 p.m.

Hello snk,

Thanks for the heads-up. I've looked into it and the "published" date seems to have been re-set with an update after the initial publication.

I've now changed it back to the date and time of the above post and your points should be awarded correctly now. Congratulations on the first place!

By: glasshopper on Oct. 15, 2020, 6:29 a.m.

May I ask if the 3 homophones for each plaintext character are used sequentially (versus randomly)?

By: tryone144 on Oct. 15, 2020, 2:25 p.m.

Hi glasshopper,

May I ask if the 3 homophones for each plaintext character are used sequentially (versus randomly)?

According to the challenge description:

We consider a uniform distribution of the homophones.

This sounds to me like choose one of the three homophones at random (such that they all appear with the same probability).

Greetings, Bernd

By: FoM on Dec. 2, 2020, 9:11 p.m.

Hello,

this task could only be solved with Notepad++ and a little bit of "language feeling". Notepad++ has this wonderful property of automatically marking all the same character strings as soon as a certain character string is marked (and occurs several times).

I find this feature so valuable because it not only reveals how often a character or a character string occurs, but it also shows its rhythm at the same time.

Greetings, Michael

Currently 16 guests and 0 members are online.