Forum

Challenge "Music Code — Part 2"  

By: admin on May 17, 2011, 10:04 a.m.

A piece of music is given as mp3 file and in music notation. The notes represent a secret message, which was encrypted with two classic methods. To solve this challenge you first have to solve part 1 (which is in level 1).
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: Veselovský on Aug. 10, 2011, 3:28 p.m.

Hi,
is that German poem written in German or in English?
If in German, how are treated special characters that are in German alphabet like "üäöß"?
Is it some famous author or less known?

It is difficult… German is not my mother language neither is English, but German is to me like a cypher-text itself. …I do not mean with this nothing wrong, just only expressing my inability in understanding this language

By: fretty on Aug. 10, 2011, 6:43 p.m.

That is the beauty of frequency analysis…it favours no language!

I know absolutely no german but was able to solve this by using basic cryptanalysis.

The ciphertext is in German and dont worry about numbers…you are told where the numbers will appear in the ciphertext (there are no more). Look at common German letters and words and you'll be fine.

By: Veselovský on Aug. 10, 2011, 6:49 p.m.

The problem is that I do not use CrypTool. I am solving each challenge with my own algorithms made for each particular challenge.
But I can not make a one for cryptanalysis of German texts since I do not know any word in German. :-)

By: fretty on Aug. 10, 2011, 7:23 p.m.

You dont need a program…just a bit of brainpower. Personally I think this should be a level 1 challenge.

Practice on some basic substitution ciphertexts in your own language to see how you would do it, then do the same things with this one.

By: fretty on Aug. 10, 2011, 7:24 p.m.

I didnt use cryptool for any of these ciphers!

(Mainly because I was using the new one all along and so didnt know about all of the powers the first one has).

By: Veselovský on Aug. 10, 2011, 8:14 p.m.

I now how I would do it in my language and even in English…. because I now the structure of both languages and know lots of words of these languages, but Germain is Spanish village to me :-D
I just do not recognize any word in it German.

By: fretty on Aug. 10, 2011, 8:23 p.m.

I dont either.

Use google translate to translate some common words into German. Use wikipedia to get a list of letter frequencies in German. Given this info you will slowly piece together the plaintext.

I did find a program afterwards that decrypted this in less than a second :p

By: Veselovský on Aug. 11, 2011, 3:57 p.m.

Can anybody reveal a first letter of the author's last name?
I am totally lost.

By: fretty on Aug. 11, 2011, 5:01 p.m.

Send me a PM with what you have got so far.

Currently 22 guests and 0 members are online.