Forum

Challenge "The SZ42 Challenge — Part 3"  

By: admin on Aug. 15, 2020, 9:26 p.m.

The Lorenz SZ42, codenamed Tunny, was a German teleprinter encryption device used during WW2. This is the third challenge in a series of 13 level-2 challenges with the SZ42. Here, you are provided with 2 in-depth ciphertexts and a limitation is used. Can you recover the plaintexts?
Read more...

Re: Challenge "The SZ42 Challenge — Part 3"  

By: RandyWaterhouse on March 14, 2022, 5:43 p.m.

My solution is rejected even though I'm pretty confident it is correct. I deciphered both cipher texts (including identifying the original sources of the plain texts) and asserted that the key is the same for both (i.e. I have one key which produces the ciphers from the reconstructed plain texts). The plain texts correspond exactly to the source I found. So the last 10 characters of the first plain text are determined without much room for error, I think.

The format of the submission is the same as for parts 1 and 2 (which were accepted for me).

???

By: RandyWaterhouse on March 15, 2022, 7:07 a.m.

To answer my own question: I accidentally swapped the two ciphers in my spreadsheet, so I submitted the wrong one's final 10 chars.

All good now ;-)

By: madness on Aug. 27, 2023, 8:37 p.m.

You only think you made a mistake. If you swap the ciphertexts, you can get the same plaintexts with a different key. It's the glory of XOR.

By: RandyWaterhouse on Aug. 28, 2023, 7 a.m.

Yes, I know. But a specific one of the two plaintexts was asked for as the solution and at first I had the wrong one. Thanks for the comment anyway.

Currently 18 guests and 0 members are online.