Forum

Challenge "The T52 Sturgeon Challenge — Part 4"  

By: admin on July 22, 2019, 11:20 p.m.

The Siemens and Halske T52 was a family of German teleprinter encryption devices used during WW2. This challenge is part of a series of challenges with T52. In this challenge, you need to recover the plaintext only from a T52ab ciphertext. The key is partially known.
Read more...

Re: Challenge "The T52 Sturgeon Challenge — Part 4"  

By: madness on Aug. 24, 2023, 4:31 a.m.

I noticed something about this challenge. The documentation says that for this model, there are only 960 unique substitution alphabets, but with the wheel settings given I generated a full 1024 different alphabets. I did it with two different simulators, one of which was the JAR file in the challenge. (This does not affect my solution.)

Edit:

So I looked deeper into Weierud's documentation, and what is happening is this: For various permutation-circuit wirings, there are different numbers of possible permutations that can result. The Germans accepted only those that had 30 or 32 possibilities, and so there were 30x32=960 or 32x32=1024 different alphabets. Other wirings were rejected. So when the documents that come with the challenge say "360 possible" wirings, it really means "360 acceptable" wirings.

I made a list of the 360 acceptable wirings, but since the list is 360 lines long, I am not posting it here.

Last edited by: madness on Sept. 14, 2023, 4:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

Currently 24 guests and 0 members are online.