Forum

Challenge "Weakened Handycipher — Part 2"  

By: admin on May 12, 2015, 10:33 p.m.

The challenges for the weakened Handycipher serve as an exercise and use an intentionally weakened version of Handycipher. Part 2 is a ciphertext-only challenge with a helping additional information.

Handycipher is a newly designed cipher to permit pen-and-paper encrypting and decrypting, while providing a significantly high level of security.
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:55 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: Scatha on May 21, 2015, 1:43 p.m.

Hallo,

wir haben die Templates aktualisiert, sodass als Lösung jetzt korrekt nach vier Nachnamen gefragt statt wie bisher nach dreien.
Wir entschuldigen uns für daraus entstandene Probleme.

Gruß,
Scatha

Hello,

the templates have been updated, so as solution it correctly asks for four surnames rather than three.
We apologize for your inconvenience.

Best regards,
Scatha

By: Veselovský on Feb. 22, 2019, 2:12 p.m.

Is it difficult to define required solution unambiguously? I did not even try to submit it.
At first only three surnames, then four surnames. I can confirm I can find four surnames in plaintext but with multiplicity.

The PDF says:"The solution consists of the four surnames mentioned in M8. Please enter the names in the order in which they appear in the text, separated by commas".

If the surnames were appearing in the following order in the plaintext:
SMITH,JONES,JONES,WILLIAMS,JONES,SMITH,TAYLOR,WILLIAMS,TAYLOR,TAYLOR

There are 4 different surnames in my example but in total there are 10. So what would be the solutions then? All of 10? Only 4? But then in what order? According to first occurrence? According to last occurrence? Or what?

By: AnLeRo on Feb. 22, 2019, 4:04 p.m.

Is it difficult to define required solution unambiguously? I did not even try to submit it.
At first only three surnames, then four surnames. I can confirm I can find four surnames in plaintext but with multiplicity.

The PDF says:"The solution consists of the four surnames mentioned in M8. Please enter the names in the order in which they appear in the text, separated by commas".

If the surnames were appearing in the following order in the plaintext:
SMITH,JONES,JONES,WILLIAMS,JONES,SMITH,TAYLOR,WILLIAMS,TAYLOR,TAYLOR

There are 4 different surnames in my example but in total there are 10. So what would be the solutions then? All of 10? Only 4? But then in what order? According to first occurrence? According to last occurrence? Or what?

You only have to mention four names in the solution, according to the first occurence.
So the solution of your example would be:
SMITH,JONES,WILLIAMS,TAYLOR

By: Veselovský on Feb. 22, 2019, 7:11 p.m.

So the required solution is then incorrectly phrased. Moreover, there are in fact 5 different (unique) surnames so sentence "The solution consists of the four surnames mentioned in M8." is again incorrect.

Currently 14 guests and 0 members are online.