Forum

[solved] Challenge "RSA Factoring Challenge: RSA-220"  

By: admin on Feb. 7, 2012, 10:42 a.m.

This challenge descends from the RSA Laboratories contest to encourage research into the practical difficulty of factoring large integers of different length (between 330 and 2048 bit) and cracking RSA keys used in cryptography. This challenge is about factoring a number with 220 decimal digits.
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:54 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: Veselovský on Oct. 14, 2016, 3:09 p.m.

This number was factored on May 13, 2016:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_numbers#RSA-220

…and again none of the two factors was accepted as a solution. I already pointed out that there is something wrong with verifying correctness of solutions for RSA Factoring Challenges. Seems nothing was done to make it work.

Re: Challenge  

By: MagiCCrypto on Oct. 21, 2016, 7:31 a.m.

Dear Veselovský,

I'd like to thank you for very much your feedback:
1) We changed the type of the RSA-220 challenge. So no longer points can
be awarded.
2) The verification script has a bug. Some other RSA Factoring
Challenges also use the same script.
We're still trying to fix the problem, so please have some patience over
the next days.

Note: We have fixed the problem – the verification of the "RSA Factoring Challenges" now works well again.

Kind regards
MagiCCrypto

Re: [solved] Challenge  

By: itnomad on Feb. 10, 2021, 4:52 p.m.

Although it this challenge wouldn't give any points, I tried to factor it nonetheless and was surprised, that the factorization took less than 2 seconds (!) on my machine. I wonder if it was deliberately that easy?

Ok, the challenge is nine years old, but so is my regular workstation with X5570 Xeons… So even back then it shouldn't have been so hard.

Just wondering :-)

Re: [solved] Challenge  

By: itnomad on Feb. 10, 2021, 5:16 p.m.

OK, never mind, I just learned that the factorization method I'm using is magically calling up factordb - I was really wondering why it was that fast.

Currently 20 guests and 2 members are online.