Forum

Challenge "A Heavy SZ42 Challenge – Part 14"  

By: admin on Dec. 30, 2022, 12:59 p.m.

The Lorenz SZ42, codenamed Tunny, was a German teleprinter encryption device used during WW2. This is the fourteenth challenge in a series of 16 level-3 challenges with the SZ42. In this "Breaking" challenge you are only provided with one ciphertext. Can you find the MU-, CHI-, and PSI wheel patterns and decrypt the ciphertext?
Read more…

Re: Challenge "A Heavy SZ42 Challenge – Part 14"  

By: Theofanidis on Dec. 30, 2022, 3:29 p.m.

Dear MTC3 team, although it is described at the English and the German version pdf that the ciphertext has 25.000 characters, the actual ciphertext file given has "only" 15.000 characters. Probably a typo in both version pdfs. Other than that, thanks MTC3 team and Nils Kopal for submitting another wonderfull challenge. For some - unfortunatelly not all of us - it will keep us busy for a long time. I wish a Happy New year. Kind Regards, George Theofanidis

By: newton on Dec. 30, 2022, 4:51 p.m.

@Theofanidis You're right! Apologizes for the mistake. We included the wrong file in the additional material. The file should be indeed 25.000 characters long.

The corrected file is now uploaded. Sorry for the inconveniences!

Best, newton

By: Theofanidis on Dec. 30, 2022, 4:57 p.m.

Dear newton, thanks for the clarification. Kind Regards, George Theofanidis.

By: Yokozuna on Dec. 30, 2022, 6:27 p.m.

In der deutschen Beschreibung steht: "Bei dieser "Breaking"-Challenge erhalten Sie ausschließlich einen Geheimtext und die Muster der CHI-Walzen." Die Muster der CHI-Walzen sind aber bei dieser Challenge nicht gegeben.

Yokozuna

By: newton on Dec. 30, 2022, 6:45 p.m.

@Yokozuna Sorry! in dieser Challenge sind die Muster der CHI-Walzen nicht gegeben. Ich passe die Beschreibung enstprechend an.

Sorry for all the confusion, this challenge was originally worked on by my pre-predecessor and then my predecessor so unfortunately, some details were miscommunicated! Apologizes for that.

Currently 21 guests and 0 members are online.