Forum

Challenge "Pigpen with a twist — Part 3"  

By: admin on Sept. 2, 2011, 1:16 p.m.

A random, non-periodic key, an unknown substitution - can you find out the 12th word?
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge  

By: fretty on Sept. 2, 2011, 7:30 p.m.

Just to inform everyone working on this challenge, I do not know if it is even solvable. This is why it is a level 3 challenge.

It is my opinion that the cipher is weak enough, even using a one time pad, to warrent attacks but who knows.

I look forward to hearing from anyone that manages to solve it, just to find out how they did it.

By: fretty on Sept. 7, 2011, 9:24 a.m.

Good luck everyone

Last edited by: fretty on Sept. 8, 2011, 6:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: fretty on Sept. 8, 2011, 11:23 a.m.

Kudos to jomandi…I am certainly interested in how you solved this.

By: jomandi on Sept. 8, 2011, 5:33 p.m.

Thanks for your compliment.

But I think, with the informations given in the challengetext and the additional hint, it is not very difficult to find the solution, and I am sure, that it will be solved by some others soon.

By: DarkFibre on Sept. 8, 2011, 5:39 p.m.

Can I ask if you solved it by hand or wrote a program? Or maybe somehow used an existing tool?

By: jomandi on Sept. 8, 2011, 6:17 p.m.

For the solution I did not use any programming language.

The most important tool was "notepad++" and its "color styles" to highlight letters in different colors.

So I think, that it is no real "Level 3 Challenge"…

By: fretty on Sept. 8, 2011, 6:48 p.m.

How about without the hint?

By: jomandi on Sept. 8, 2011, 8:14 p.m.

Within the last days there have been published many new challenges. Because if this fact, I had not taken a look at this challenge before the hint was published.

So it is difficult for me to say whether it would have been (without hint) an appropriate Level 3 Challenge or not.

By: DarkFibre on Sept. 8, 2011, 9:12 p.m.

Well it's stumped me so far. But that was before I knew you could color text in notepad++, now that I know this challenge will surely fall.

By: aurelie on Sept. 9, 2011, 1:36 a.m.

Since this challenge seems to be too easy for Level 3 with the given hint, we decided to downgrade it to Level 2. The points of those of you who already solved it are going to be adjusted, accordingly.

By: fretty on Sept. 9, 2011, 9:58 a.m.

I have since deleted the hint.

I only gave this challenge a level 3 title as a rough estimate so that MT could decide what level they think it should be.

Currently 29 guests and 0 members are online.