Forum

Challenge "Ku Klux Klan"  

By: admin on May 7, 2010, 2:35 p.m.

In 1923, a member of the Ku Klux Klan sent an encrypted telegram to one of his colleagues. This telegram could be preserved.

More than 60 years later, the US mathematician Cipher Deavours examined the telegram and was able to decipher it. In 1989, he published some of the details about the solution in the magazine Cryptologia („A Ku Klux Klan Cipher“, edition 3/1989). However, he didn‘t tell the complete solution – the last part was left to the reader as an exercise.
Read more...

Last edited by: admin on Sept. 7, 2022, 3:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Challenge "Ku Klux Klan"  

By: romleo on May 31, 2011, 8:11 a.m.

Ich habe versucht Hintergrundinformationen zu bekommen, aber das ist schwierig. Folgende Informationen könnten hilfreich sein:

• kompletter Name vom Sender und Empfänger
  • genaues Datum
  • Örtlichkeit

Wurde nur diese eine Nachricht abgefangen, gibt es ähnliche, andere?

viele Grüße,

Roman

By: realkus on June 1, 2011, 4:06 p.m.

Leider enthält der genannte Cryptologia-Artikel nicht viel mehr als die hier angegebenen Informationen. Ich vermute aber stark, dass diese ausreichen, um die Verschlüsselung zu knacken.

By: fretty on July 29, 2011, 2:36 p.m.

Congratulations to DarkFibre for solving this…and apparently the Beale Ciphers!

Maybe he could enlighten us mere mortals with some hints :p

Re: Challenge  

By: jd on Oct. 4, 2013, 8:46 a.m.

I'm working on this one. I have been working on this for a while now.

I've tried using a digraph and a scoring system. But it doesn't seem to work. There are repetitions in the encrypted text that suggest errors in the plaintext.

Any hints would be great.

jd

Re: Challenge  

By: Integral on Dec. 27, 2013, 6:58 p.m.

Hi All,

I have de plain text, but clearly the KKK member made many encryption mistakes…

What must be entered as an answer ? The PT with mistakes, on something as close as possible to what was meant ?
… or something else ?

Thanks for your advice,

Integral

How to send in the solution to a level X Challenge  

By: be on Dec. 27, 2013, 10:10 p.m.

I have the plain text, but clearly the KKK member made many encryption mistakes… What must be entered as an answer?

Hello Integral,
please send the answer to the MTC3 team ([HTML_REMOVED]mtc3@cryptool.org[HTML_REMOVED]) as stated at the page https://www.mysterytwisterc3.org/en/challenges/level-x: "Write us an email with your results."
Alternatively you can send it directly to me as one of the founders of MTC3.
Solutions to level X challenges should contain a description how you solved it. We then ask the author to validate the received solution, and discuss the amount of points to award, as level X challenge cannot be processed in an automated way.
Thanks a lot for your mail and congratulations to the more than 40 correct solutions you managed to send in within this single month till now – this is quite impressive.
Best regards, Bernhard

Currently 27 guests and 0 members are online.